The Maryland Terrapins men’s soccer team is set to face the #16-ranked Michigan State Spartans on Friday night 8 p.m. at Ludwig Field. Even if you aren’t an avid soccer fan, this is a game you don’t want to miss, here are 5 reasons why.
5. Free scarves! – The first 2,000 fans at the game will receive a free “UMD Crew” scarf. In case you aren’t aware, the “UMD Crew” is a group of students who band together every week to root for the team at both home and away games. The crew is widely recognized around campus for chanting funny sayings throughout the game to distract opponents. Their scarves are their most defining characteristic.
4. You might meet President Loh – The president of the University of Maryland is known to be a common fixture at many Terrapin soccer games. The likelihood that you run into him and get the opportunity to take a selfie together is very high.
3. First B1G game! – This game will be Maryland’s first home match in the Big Ten conference. Last Friday, the Terps played in their first Big Ten game ever and tied with Michigan at one goal a piece. You’ll be a part of history if you attend this game!
2. This will be a pretty good game – At least I hope it’ll be. The Terps are looking to rebound after dropping out of the Top 25. The team is currently 1-2-2 and has suffered mightily after losing their two leading scorers (Patrick Mullins and Jake Pace) to graduation. With a win against the #16-ranked Michigan State Spartans, the Terps might be able to break into the rankings and contend for a title once again after losing last year’s national championship.
1. IT’S FREE!!!! (if you’re a UMD student) – The game will also be broadcasted nationally on The Big Ten Network.