Halloween might be fun for children of all ages, but after the initial trick or treat tradition, parents have to then worry about what exactly was given to their child. Children with allergies, such as the peanut allergy, are the most at risk of receiving candy that can hurt them. However, this past Halloween, there were incidents that frightened parents of children who usually aren’t at risk of having a reaction from Halloween candy.
Drugs were found in children’s candy in the town of Poughkeepsie, NY. The Poughkeepsie Galleria, the local mall of the town, hosts an annual event where children (and others) can go trick or treating at vendors. This year, parents were in for a surprise when the event was cancelled midway through after a report to police of a pink pill inside of a Snickers bar. Joanne Turner called in the report after her 13-year-old daughter discovered a tampered Snickers slit in half, with the pill sticking out. Police are still investigating the incident.
Authorities in Chester County, Penn. are investigating candy given out to five children that have needle-like objects in them. This occurred in the suburb of Kennett Square and local police are examining the products.
In North Reading, Mass. there were two reports of someone leaving out samples of Hyland’s 4 Kids Cold ‘n Mucus cough syrup outside of their home. Located just outside of Boston, the reports were determined to be in the Olde Farm Lane Area.
Police later said, “the incident was just a lapse of judgment by the resident.”
Police in Reynoldsburg, Ohio, have confirmed that a disposable razor was found inside of a candy bar given to a girl while trick-or-treating.
There have also been many false reports of objects in Halloween candy.
In Minnesota, a child claimed to have found a sewing needle in a piece of candy. Back in Massachusetts, there was a false claim of a razor found in a girl’s candy in the suburb of Worcester. Police had reported on its Facebook page about a metallic object found under the wrapper of a candy bar, but later reported it to be a hoax.